We love the selection of second hand shops in the Grand Valley. Considering the size of the valley, the number and variety of quality second hand stores is quite amazing. One of our favorite, and one we’ve frequented since we first moved to Grand Junction, is The Encore Shoppe.
How to Get to The Encore Shoppe
The Encore Shoppe is located at the corner of 1st Street and Orchard Avenue (right across Orchard Ave. from West Middle School) in Grand Junction.
NOTE: Until recently, The Encore Shop was located near downtown, at the Corner of Grand and 5th Street.
What We Like About the New Location
The new location is outstanding for a number of practical reasons (besides the fact that, for us, it’s much closer to where we live.)
(1) The whole store is on one level! This is a big deal if you have trouble with stairs or like to keep an eye on your whole family while shopping. For Susan and I, it means we can be within earshot of each other (men’s and women’s clothes are on the same level) to share thoughts about great finds.
(2) Much Better Parking. The one thing that kept me from wanting to visit The Encore Shop in its old location was the parking. It seemed like the store had less than a handful of parking spaces, and they were difficult to access. Now, there are tons of parking spaces.
(3) Ritz Consignment is Across the Street. If you’re out for a day of second hand shopping, there’s no need to travel all over town. Look for clothing and small housewares at The Encore Shoppe and then take a trip across the street to Ritz Consignment for furniture and larger housewares. I’m reminded of my years in Dallas, Texas, where retailers did everything they could to make shopping easy for customers.
What We Love About The Encore Shoppe
(1) Enormous Clothing Selection. I find Encore’s clothing selection to be the finest in town among the consignment shops. Through the years, I have found some outdoor wear that I continue to wear every week.
(2) Organization. I like that the menswear is organized by size (and that there’s enough menswear to make a visit worthwhile.) Susan likes that the womenswear is organized by color.
(3) Non-Clothing Items. There’s a great housewares section, as well as areas for women’s jewelry and even coats.
(4) Clean Bathrooms. Everything else being equal, I go to the store with the cleanest bathrooms. The Encore Shoppe qualifies.
(5) The Brands. The thing that keeps us going back to The Encore Shoppe through the years is the quality of clothing we find (at a more than reasonable price, of course.) We’re outdoor people, and with so much outdoor activities available in Grand Junction, we’ve tried to find the place where we have the best chance of finding second hand clothes from brands like Kuhl, Under Armor, Columbia, Patagonia, Prana, Loki, Marmot, REI, Royal Robbins, etc. I can’t say we find something from one of these brands every time we go, but we have found them at The Encore Shop more than anyplace else. That’s enough to keep us going back.